Sunday, March 15, 2015

Do you Wanna Taco Bout It?

Day 6 (Friday)

Breakfast: Mango Chia seed pudding

Lunch: Napa cabbage salad

Dinner: Fish tacos with cauliflower tortillas

I decided to attempt this cauliflower tortilla recipe, mostly out of curiousity: http://www.recipegirl.com/2014/05/05/cauliflower-tortillas/. It's a pretty weird recipe, but in the end, I think the tortillas came out ok. You can't really taste a tortilla most of the time anyway, it's kind of just a vehicle for whatever you're putting on it. The only noticeable difference was that these are a bit sweeter than flour or corn tortillas, but I think they actually worked well with the fish. I don't have a microwave, so I boiled the cauliflower, drained it, let it cool, and then squeezed the water out of it. I tried to mix it with the egg by hand, but it wasn't blending well, so I just threw the whole mess in the blender, which seems to have worked much better. The only problem was that the 'batter' or whatever you want to call it is really not thick enough to form any sort of a patty, so just spread it on a heavily oiled sheet pan and tried to get it as large and thin as possible. I made a half recipe, so I ended up with three pretty small tortillas. I would definitely suggest making the whole recipe, which would probably give you about 4 medium sized tortillas. Maybe I just didn't use enough cauliflower. Anyway, like I said, all things considered, these were actually pretty good:

Displaying IMG_20150312_212813.jpg

My husband marinated some Mahi and, miraculously, he wrote the recipe down this time (!!!), for which I am extra grateful. It was fucking GOOD.

Fish marinade:

1/4 c Olive oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1 1/2 tbsp honey
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp old bay
1 tbsp hot sauce
Salt and pepper

We had two pretty big Mahi steaks, we cubed them, marinated them for about an hour, skewered them and grilled them. Seriously. Really fucking good.

Broccoli cole slaw:

8oz greek yogurt
1/4 c chipotles in adobo sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp old bay

Combine ingredients and toss with shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw.

Lessons for today:

1. Apparently yes, you can skewer and grill fish
2. Cauliflower is a many splendored thing
3. I really should stop eating cabbage for lunch. I think my coworkers are starting to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment