Sunday, March 15, 2015

None of the Feels



Day 5 (Thursday) 

Lunch: Sandwiches

Snack: Half an avocado with lime and salt, one leftover cookie

Dinner: Steak, roasted potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.

I’m not going to tag this post as ‘clean eating’ because I’m not 100% sure it qualifies. I mean, I think it technically should, except the small amount of butter I used, but Buzzfeed’s definition of ‘clean’ is pretty strict. I guess I’ve been going with ‘nothing processed’, and ‘whole grains only’. I did manage to talk my husband out of putting bacon in the Brussels sprouts, which was an accomplishment.

The lunch was not my fault. I had this DiSC/emotional intelligence training at work from 9-2, and I sure as hell wasn’t going to be ‘that guy’ and bring my own lunch.

As for lunch, honestly, I think the sandwiches were pretty clean other than the bread. They were from Corner Bakery, and I had roast beef (not processed) and it had mixed greens and tomatoes and no condiments. I also had some spinach salad with a strawberry vinaigrette. I guess I could have not eaten the bread but again, I don’t want to be ‘that guy’. I avoided the chips, and skipped breakfast, so I actually ended up with a pretty low calorie count for the day. Here’s what we did for dinner, clean or not:

Steak and roasted fingerling potatoes:

2 tbsp each of chopped garlic, fresh thyme and oregano, divided
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Combine herbs and garlic in two separate bowls, add enough olive oil to coat the potatoes/steak, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss potatoes and steak in the olive oil and herb mixtures (separately). Dump potatoes onto a sheet pan and roast at 350 for at least a half hour. Just poke them with a fork to see if they’re soft. Grill the steaks.

Brussels sprouts:

1 medium shallot
1 medium clove of garlic
About 4 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
Chicken stock
Butter
Salt and pepper

Put some oil and butter (I used about a half tablespoon) in a pan, melt the butter. Throw in the shallot, garlic, and the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until Brussels sprouts start to turn golden brown.  Pour in a little chicken broth (maybe like ¼ c), cover, and let simmer until sprouts are done to your liking. I like them a little crunchy still, so they only took about 5 extra minutes, if that.


Lessons for the day:

1. Apparently I am a ‘C’, which means I’m questioning, skeptical, cautious and reflective, so I would make a good editor. Duh. And I have low empathy and emotional expression. Also duh.

2. Brussels sprouts are an underrated vegetable

3. Apparently I am not the only one who thinks the cartoon fox version of Robin Hood is sexy. See number 33: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/what-is-that-tingling?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.teBZyL1Dj. Also, how young are some of these people?? This one girl was 8 when LOTR came out. And 5 when X-Men was released. I want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment